Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Helmsdale
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_033_1696
PLACENAME
Helmsdale
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Kildonan
DATE OF IMAGE
4 October 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15898
KEYWORDS
villages
harbours
fishing
Helmsdale

The village of Helmsdale lies on the east coast of Sutherland where the Helmsdale River flows into the North Sea. It was originally a Norse settlement and the English name comes from the Norse 'Hjalmundal' (Dale of the Helmet). The modern village was planned on a grid pattern by the Sutherland Estates in 1814 to house some of the people who were being cleared from the surrounding straths during the Highland Clearances. The situation of the village also took advantage of the booming herring industry. Helmsdale harbour was built in 1818 and extended in 1823 and 1892. At one time it was home to one of the largest herring fleets in Europe. Nowadays the Helmsdale River attracts fly fishermen looking for Atlantic Salmon.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Helmsdale

SUTHERLAND: Kildonan

1980s

villages; harbours; fishing

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The village of Helmsdale lies on the east coast of Sutherland where the Helmsdale River flows into the North Sea. It was originally a Norse settlement and the English name comes from the Norse 'Hjalmundal' (Dale of the Helmet). The modern village was planned on a grid pattern by the Sutherland Estates in 1814 to house some of the people who were being cleared from the surrounding straths during the Highland Clearances. The situation of the village also took advantage of the booming herring industry. Helmsdale harbour was built in 1818 and extended in 1823 and 1892. At one time it was home to one of the largest herring fleets in Europe. Nowadays the Helmsdale River attracts fly fishermen looking for Atlantic Salmon.