Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Studio, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_043_2038
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
30 November 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15941
KEYWORDS
buildings
shops
tourism
The Studio, Plockton

At the time of writing [2011] The Studio is home to a shop which sells craft and artist products. It is located on the corner of Innes Street, the main road into the village of Plockton from Kyle of Lochalsh.


Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed in 1801 by William Cumming to allow the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from other parts of the Lochalsh Estate.

The Estate was bought by Sir Alexander Matheson in the 1850s, who also built Duncraig Castle overlooking the bay.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Studio, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

buildings; shops; tourism

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

At the time of writing [2011] The Studio is home to a shop which sells craft and artist products. It is located on the corner of Innes Street, the main road into the village of Plockton from Kyle of Lochalsh. <br /> <br /> <br /> Originally a planned village laid out for the Earl of Seaforth in 1794, Plockton was developed in 1801 by William Cumming to allow the next landowner, Sir Hugh Innes, to take advantage of the sheltered location off Loch Carron and the thriving herring industry. It also provided homes for tenants cleared from other parts of the Lochalsh Estate. <br /> <br /> The Estate was bought by Sir Alexander Matheson in the 1850s, who also built Duncraig Castle overlooking the bay.