Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church of Scotland and Free Church, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_043_2049
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
30 November 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15943
KEYWORDS
Church of Scotland
Free Church of Scotland
churches
chapels
Church of Scotland and Free Church, Plockton

The Plockton Parish Church, which opened in 1827, is a 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' church. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed the appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches (with maximum budget of per site). Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor.

The land for this church, on Innes Street, was given by Sir Hugh Innes, one-time owner of the Lochalsh Estate. John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane were the contractors. Initially the church had seating for 312 worshippers but this was later increased to 500. This expansion was paid for by Issac Lillingston, a local landowner.

The single-storey manse across the road was eventually sold and the proceeds were spent on upgrading the church for use by both the Church of Scotland and Free Church congregations.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church of Scotland and Free Church, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

Church of Scotland; Free Church of Scotland; churches; chapels

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Plockton Parish Church, which opened in 1827, is a 'Telford' or 'Parliamentary' church. This term referred to an Act of Parliament which allowed the appointment of commissioners to organize the building of 40 churches (with maximum budget of per site). Thomas Telford was the consulting engineer and chief surveyor. <br /> <br /> The land for this church, on Innes Street, was given by Sir Hugh Innes, one-time owner of the Lochalsh Estate. John Davidson and Thomas MacFarlane were the contractors. Initially the church had seating for 312 worshippers but this was later increased to 500. This expansion was paid for by Issac Lillingston, a local landowner. <br /> <br /> The single-storey manse across the road was eventually sold and the proceeds were spent on upgrading the church for use by both the Church of Scotland and Free Church congregations.