Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_044_2051
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
30 November 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15944
KEYWORDS
schools
Plockton

Plockton Primary School was built in 1858, with later additions in 1889. It was paid for by Sir Alexander Matheson, then owner of the Lochalsh Estate, and the Matheson coat of arms remains over the main door. The architect was Alexander Ross, who designed many notable buildings across the Highlands.

The school was extended in order to be used as a Senior Secondary for the wider area, with early years' classes being held in other buildings in the village. This arrangement remained until a new secondary school was built in 1964. This building then reverted to being a primary school.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

schools

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Plockton Primary School was built in 1858, with later additions in 1889. It was paid for by Sir Alexander Matheson, then owner of the Lochalsh Estate, and the Matheson coat of arms remains over the main door. The architect was Alexander Ross, who designed many notable buildings across the Highlands. <br /> <br /> The school was extended in order to be used as a Senior Secondary for the wider area, with early years' classes being held in other buildings in the village. This arrangement remained until a new secondary school was built in 1964. This building then reverted to being a primary school.