Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Duncraig Castle, Plockton
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_045_2089
PLACENAME
Plockton
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
30 November 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15947
KEYWORDS
castles
colleges
hospitals
Duncraig Castle, Plockton

Duncraig Castle was built for Sir Alexander Matheson (1805 - 1886) in 1866 after his house at Inverinate was destroyed by fire. The location, overlooking Loch Carron and the village of Plockton, adds to its grandeur.

Sir Alexander owned much of Lochalsh at the time, having made a fortune in the Far East with Jardine, Matheson & Co.

His son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold part of the Lochalsh Estate to Sir Daniel Hamilton, an unusually benevolent landowner, who left the castle to the local County Council on his death in 1939.

It was used as a Naval Hospital during World War II and as a college of Domestic Science for girls from 1945 until 1989. The extension on the right of the photograph was built in 1969.

Thereafter the castle has a somewhat chequered story and suffered years of neglect while prolonged discussions were held regarding its future. A gradual restoration was achieved by a family from the Midlands, the Dobsons, who bought the building in 2003 and were the subject of a television series following their attempts to live in the castle and with each other. The castle now (2011) functions as a guest house and wedding venue.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Duncraig Castle, Plockton

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

castles; colleges; hospitals

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Duncraig Castle was built for Sir Alexander Matheson (1805 - 1886) in 1866 after his house at Inverinate was destroyed by fire. The location, overlooking Loch Carron and the village of Plockton, adds to its grandeur.<br /> <br /> Sir Alexander owned much of Lochalsh at the time, having made a fortune in the Far East with Jardine, Matheson & Co. <br /> <br /> His son, Sir Kenneth Matheson, sold part of the Lochalsh Estate to Sir Daniel Hamilton, an unusually benevolent landowner, who left the castle to the local County Council on his death in 1939. <br /> <br /> It was used as a Naval Hospital during World War II and as a college of Domestic Science for girls from 1945 until 1989. The extension on the right of the photograph was built in 1969. <br /> <br /> Thereafter the castle has a somewhat chequered story and suffered years of neglect while prolonged discussions were held regarding its future. A gradual restoration was achieved by a family from the Midlands, the Dobsons, who bought the building in 2003 and were the subject of a television series following their attempts to live in the castle and with each other. The castle now (2011) functions as a guest house and wedding venue.