Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverie House, Knoydart
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_052_2280
PLACENAME
Inverie
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
25 February 1983
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15982
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
World War Two
Second World War
2nd World War
World War II
Inverie House, Knoydart

Inverie House is found on the Knoydart peninsula, south of the village of Inverie. It was built in the early 19th century for Colonel Alasdair Macdonell of Glengarry before passing to the Baird family and then on to Lord Brocket in 1934. During World War 2 it was requisitioned and used by the Special Operations Executive as a Special Training School. After the war it lay deserted, although still fully furnished, for many years until it was bought by the local community as part of the buyout of the Knoydart Estate in 1999. It was subsequently sold to an American sculptor and his wife with the proceeds going towards other improvements on the estate.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverie House, Knoydart

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1980s

houses; buildings; World War Two; Second World War; 2nd World War; World War II

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Inverie House is found on the Knoydart peninsula, south of the village of Inverie. It was built in the early 19th century for Colonel Alasdair Macdonell of Glengarry before passing to the Baird family and then on to Lord Brocket in 1934. During World War 2 it was requisitioned and used by the Special Operations Executive as a Special Training School. After the war it lay deserted, although still fully furnished, for many years until it was bought by the local community as part of the buyout of the Knoydart Estate in 1999. It was subsequently sold to an American sculptor and his wife with the proceeds going towards other improvements on the estate.