Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glensanda Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_053_2315
PLACENAME
Glensanda
DISTRICT
Ardnamurchan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Ardgour
DATE OF IMAGE
9 March 1983
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15985
KEYWORDS
castles
buildings
clans
hills
dwellings
Glensanda Castle

Glensanda Castle sits on a grassy hill looking out across Loch Linnhe towards Appin. It is a two storey tower from the early 15th century and built using local granite. It was the main stronghold of the Macleans of Kingairloch until 1780 when they moved to a new house at nearby Connach. In the early 1800s the estate was sold to English land owner, James Forbes, and Sir Hector Maclean (23rd Chief) emigrated, along with most of the rest of the clan, to Pictou, Nova Scotia.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glensanda Castle

ARGYLL: Ardgour

1980s

castles; buildings; clans; hills; dwellings

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Glensanda Castle sits on a grassy hill looking out across Loch Linnhe towards Appin. It is a two storey tower from the early 15th century and built using local granite. It was the main stronghold of the Macleans of Kingairloch until 1780 when they moved to a new house at nearby Connach. In the early 1800s the estate was sold to English land owner, James Forbes, and Sir Hector Maclean (23rd Chief) emigrated, along with most of the rest of the clan, to Pictou, Nova Scotia.