Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inside Victorian Market, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_054_2344
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
13 April 1983
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15992
KEYWORDS
markets
shopping
Inside Victorian Market, Inverness

The original indoor market in Inverness was between Union Street and Queensgate but it was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street, Union Street and Queensgate, the new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows, concerts and meetings. The tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market houses a varied selection of shops.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inside Victorian Market, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1980s

markets; shopping

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The original indoor market in Inverness was between Union Street and Queensgate but it was destroyed by fire in 1889 and rebuilt two years later at a cost of £7158. With entrances from Academy Street, Church Street, Union Street and Queensgate, the new market included a spacious central hall and a fish market. There were no permanent stands - each stallholder rented trestle tables from the town council at 6d per day. Nairn fishwives and farmers' wives sold fish, eggs, fowls, piglets and dairy produce. The market hall was also used for flower shows, concerts and meetings. The tables could be pushed to the side to make room for the spectators. Today the market houses a varied selection of shops.