Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_054_2353
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
13 April 1983
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15997
KEYWORDS
hotels
streetscapes
Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness

The Station Hotel was built in 1855 to a design by the noted architect and engineer, Joseph Mitchell. It coincided with the opening of the Inverness & Nairn Railway, with which Mitchell was closely associated. The hotel was substantially redesigned in 1858-9 by James Matthews & William Lawrie. It was purchased by the Highland Railway in 1876. Further significant reconstruction was carried out by Ross & Macbeth in 1898 and it was then that the hotel’s entrance was moved from Academy Street to Station Square.

After nationalisation in 1948, the management and running of the hotel passed to the British Transport Commission’s Hotels Executive who carried out a partial reconstruction of the building in 1958. The British Railways Board took over in 1962 and the hotel was eventually sold in 1983. It was re-named the Royal Highland Hotel in 2000.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Hotel, Academy Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1980s

hotels; streetscapes

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Station Hotel was built in 1855 to a design by the noted architect and engineer, Joseph Mitchell. It coincided with the opening of the Inverness & Nairn Railway, with which Mitchell was closely associated. The hotel was substantially redesigned in 1858-9 by James Matthews & William Lawrie. It was purchased by the Highland Railway in 1876. Further significant reconstruction was carried out by Ross & Macbeth in 1898 and it was then that the hotel’s entrance was moved from Academy Street to Station Square.<br /> <br /> After nationalisation in 1948, the management and running of the hotel passed to the British Transport Commission’s Hotels Executive who carried out a partial reconstruction of the building in 1958. The British Railways Board took over in 1962 and the hotel was eventually sold in 1983. It was re-named the Royal Highland Hotel in 2000.<br />