Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara House
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_09_032_1001
PLACENAME
Balmacara
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
3 November 1983
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
16155
KEYWORDS
estate houses
mansions
military training
beaches
Balmacara House

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Localsh Estate, and built Balmacara House.

Situated on the shores of Loch Alsh, it features in a beautiful 1819 William Daniell aquatint. Sir Alexander Matheson purchased the estate in the mid-19th century, and lived at Balmacara House while Duncraig Castle, his main residence, was built near Plockton.

In 1918 Sir Daniel and Lady Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara and came to live there permanently in 1925.

The house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers' and gardeners' housing.

The 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947, while Balmacara House has been leased to the Ministry of Defence and used by Navy divers during training exercises.

The house has recently (2011) undergone much needed renovation by the MoD and will continue to be used by them as a training base.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara House

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

estate houses; mansions; military training; beaches

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

In 1801 Sir Hugh Innes purchased what is now the Localsh Estate, and built Balmacara House.<br /> <br /> Situated on the shores of Loch Alsh, it features in a beautiful 1819 William Daniell aquatint. Sir Alexander Matheson purchased the estate in the mid-19th century, and lived at Balmacara House while Duncraig Castle, his main residence, was built near Plockton. <br /> <br /> In 1918 Sir Daniel and Lady Margaret Hamilton purchased Balmacara and came to live there permanently in 1925. <br /> <br /> The house has been enlarged over the years, and outbuildings have gone through various uses from laundry, stables and barns, to farm workers' and gardeners' housing. <br /> <br /> The 8,770 acre Lochalsh Estate was bequeathed to the National Trust for Scotland, and formally handed over in 1947, while Balmacara House has been leased to the Ministry of Defence and used by Navy divers during training exercises. <br /> <br /> The house has recently (2011) undergone much needed renovation by the MoD and will continue to be used by them as a training base.