Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_15_025_1035
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
10 August 1988
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
17358
KEYWORDS
Eilean Donan castle
Eilean Donan Courtyard
restored castle
Clan MacRae
Macrae
Macrae-Gilstrap
Eilean Donnan
Ellan Donnan
Eilean Donan Castle

A young visitor surveys the complex inner courtyard of Eilean Donan Castle from the ramparts. Having crossed the stone arched bridge over the loch, visitors pass through the main doorway below the portcullis and enter the courtyard. When the portcullis was lowered, even if the defence of the outer walls fell, the inner fortress could be defended. A Gaelic inscription above the gateway reads in translation ' As long as there is a MacRae inside There will never be a Fraser outside '.

The island on which the castle was constructed is situated at the confluence of Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles.

Eilean Donan Castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction.

The castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John MacRae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the structure. It was completed in 1932 and opened to the public in 1955 by his grandson.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

Eilean Donan castle; Eilean Donan Courtyard; restored castle; Clan MacRae; Macrae; Macrae-Gilstrap; Eilean Donnan; Ellan Donnan

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

A young visitor surveys the complex inner courtyard of Eilean Donan Castle from the ramparts. Having crossed the stone arched bridge over the loch, visitors pass through the main doorway below the portcullis and enter the courtyard. When the portcullis was lowered, even if the defence of the outer walls fell, the inner fortress could be defended. A Gaelic inscription above the gateway reads in translation ' As long as there is a MacRae inside There will never be a Fraser outside '.<br /> <br /> The island on which the castle was constructed is situated at the confluence of Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the thirteenth century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles. <br /> <br /> Eilean Donan Castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the eighteenth century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction. <br /> <br /> The castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John MacRae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the structure. It was completed in 1932 and opened to the public in 1955 by his grandson.