Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beauly Priory
EXTERNAL ID
HC_RESTORATION_001
PLACENAME
Beauly; Beauly Priory
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
1990s
SOURCE
The Highland Council
ASSET ID
18205
KEYWORDS
priories
church
churches
monastery
monasteries
monastic
abbey
naves
Beauly Priory

This photograph shows the west end of the nave at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail. The priory later passed into state control and is now looked after by Historic Scotland.

The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands. According to popular belief, the name came from a comment she made during her visit.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beauly Priory

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1990s

priories; church; churches; monastery; monasteries; monastic; abbey; naves

The Highland Council

This photograph shows the west end of the nave at Beauly Priory. The priory is situated at the east end of the main square in Beauly. It was founded around 1230 by Sir John Bisset for monks belonging to the French Valliscaulian order. The order also had abbeys at Ardchattan in Argyll and Pluscarden in Moray. The Priory was altered between the 14th and 16th centuries but fell into disrepair after the Reformation. In the 1650s Cromwell's troops removed some of the stone to build the fort at Inverness. In 1901 the north transept was partly restored as a burial aisle for the Mackenzies of Kintail. The priory later passed into state control and is now looked after by Historic Scotland.<br /> <br /> The name 'Beauly' is derived from the French 'beau lieu', or 'beautiful place'. In 1564, Mary, Queen of Scots stayed at the priory while travelling in the Highlands. According to popular belief, the name came from a comment she made during her visit.