Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Station Square, Inverness, in snow
EXTERNAL ID
JTHOMSON_BOX1_0027
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
Jimmy Thomson
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
18232
KEYWORDS
snowfall
snowfalls
railways
stations
hotels
First World War
World War One
winter scenes
Station Square, Inverness, in snow

Men are seen here clearing snow from Station Square in Inverness. On the left of the photograph is the original station façade designed by Joseph Mitchell. The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands, with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen; west to Kyle of Lochalsh; and north to Wick.

The Station Hotel was built in 1855 to a design by the noted architect and engineer, Joseph Mitchell. It coincided with the opening of the Inverness & Nairn Railway, with which Mitchell was closely associated. The hotel was substantially redesigned in 1858-9 by James Matthews & William Lawrie. It was purchased by the Highland Railway in 1876. Further significant reconstruction was carried out by Ross & Macbeth in 1898 and it was then that the hotel’s entrance was moved from Academy Street to Station Square.

After nationalisation in 1948, the management and running of the hotel passed to the British Transport Commission’s Hotels Executive who carried out a partial reconstruction of the building in 1958. The British Railways Board took over in 1962 and the hotel was eventually sold in 1983. It was re-named the Royal Highland Hotel in 2000.

The Station Hotel was the scene of a little excitement in the early days of World War I when two German spies were discovered and arrested there. The hotel was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.

The lorry pictured belongs to British Railways and is being used to take the snow down to the banks of the River Ness, near Waterloo Bridge. Snow from all over town was dumped there and often took many weeks to melt. This was in the days before salt was used to clear snow.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Station Square, Inverness, in snow

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

snowfall; snowfalls; railways; stations; hotels; First World War; World War One; winter scenes

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Thomson Archive

Men are seen here clearing snow from Station Square in Inverness. On the left of the photograph is the original station façade designed by Joseph Mitchell. The Inverness & Nairn Railway first opened a station in Inverness on 7 November 1855 and it developed to become the railway centre of the Highlands, with routes radiating south to Perth and beyond; east to Aberdeen; west to Kyle of Lochalsh; and north to Wick. <br /> <br /> The Station Hotel was built in 1855 to a design by the noted architect and engineer, Joseph Mitchell. It coincided with the opening of the Inverness & Nairn Railway, with which Mitchell was closely associated. The hotel was substantially redesigned in 1858-9 by James Matthews & William Lawrie. It was purchased by the Highland Railway in 1876. Further significant reconstruction was carried out by Ross & Macbeth in 1898 and it was then that the hotel’s entrance was moved from Academy Street to Station Square.<br /> <br /> After nationalisation in 1948, the management and running of the hotel passed to the British Transport Commission’s Hotels Executive who carried out a partial reconstruction of the building in 1958. The British Railways Board took over in 1962 and the hotel was eventually sold in 1983. It was re-named the Royal Highland Hotel in 2000.<br /> <br /> The Station Hotel was the scene of a little excitement in the early days of World War I when two German spies were discovered and arrested there. The hotel was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000.<br /> <br /> The lorry pictured belongs to British Railways and is being used to take the snow down to the banks of the River Ness, near Waterloo Bridge. Snow from all over town was dumped there and often took many weeks to melt. This was in the days before salt was used to clear snow. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.