Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Memories of the Black Isle Railway (8 of 16)
EXTERNAL ID
GB1796_SINCLAIR_BLACKISLERAIL_08
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
unknown
SOURCE
Inverness Museum and Art Gallery
ASSET ID
1861
KEYWORDS
railways
railroads
trains
farming
audio

Get Adobe Flash player

The Black Isle Railway was originally a branch of the Highland Railway network. It carried passengers from 1894 until 1951 (freight until 1960) and ran from Muir of Ord to Fortrose with intermediary stations at Redcastle, Allangrange, Munlochy and Avoch.

In this audio extract from the 1980s, a former Black Isle Railway employee recalls the various types of freight that were carried on the line.

'We were dealing with all sorts of things happening: the -, loading the wood from the Canadians during the war and cattle and sheep and a lot of fruit and vegetables from Mr Paul at Munlochy Mains, and potatoes and corn from all the different farms around. Mr Hugh Fraser from the garage at Munlochy did most of the carting of it and many's a hard day we had with it carrying in the bags to the wagons and things, and then having to maybe rope and cover the wagons and put straw on the potatoes to keep the frost out and then come back and be there for the trains coming in - the goods trains and the passenger trains - and take all the stuff off, put them into the goods shed. And then we'd get coal wagons coming in - Mr Angus Cameron was the coal merchant at the time - and we'd sheep and cattle and pigs and everything going away'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Memories of the Black Isle Railway (8 of 16)

ROSS

1980s

railways; railroads; trains; farming; audio

Inverness Museum and Art Gallery

Bill Sinclair Audio: Black Isle Railway

The Black Isle Railway was originally a branch of the Highland Railway network. It carried passengers from 1894 until 1951 (freight until 1960) and ran from Muir of Ord to Fortrose with intermediary stations at Redcastle, Allangrange, Munlochy and Avoch. <br /> <br /> In this audio extract from the 1980s, a former Black Isle Railway employee recalls the various types of freight that were carried on the line.<br /> <br /> 'We were dealing with all sorts of things happening: the -, loading the wood from the Canadians during the war and cattle and sheep and a lot of fruit and vegetables from Mr Paul at Munlochy Mains, and potatoes and corn from all the different farms around. Mr Hugh Fraser from the garage at Munlochy did most of the carting of it and many's a hard day we had with it carrying in the bags to the wagons and things, and then having to maybe rope and cover the wagons and put straw on the potatoes to keep the frost out and then come back and be there for the trains coming in - the goods trains and the passenger trains - and take all the stuff off, put them into the goods shed. And then we'd get coal wagons coming in - Mr Angus Cameron was the coal merchant at the time - and we'd sheep and cattle and pigs and everything going away'