Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
1st Nairn Scouts camp at Drynachan
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_6_03_02
PLACENAME
Drynachan
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
DATE OF IMAGE
1945; 1946
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
19125
KEYWORDS
scouting
boy scouts
scouting movement
youth organisations
camping
1st Nairn Scouts camp at Drynachan

A camp by 1st Nairn Scouts at Drynachan on the River Findhorn in 1945 or 1946.

Back row, left to right: Scoutmaster Jim Clark, [unknown], [unknown], Solly Mackintosh, Atholl Murray, Roy Dale, [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], Ian Laidlaw, [unknown], John Mackay, John Forbes, [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], County Commissioner Col. Wallace.

Front row: George Murray, John Innes, rest unknown.

If you are able to help us identify anyone else in this picture we would be delighted to hear from you.

The 1st Nairn Scouts were formed in the early summer of 1908 by a group of boys coming together, all of whom had read "The Scout" magazine as it was issued from April in that year. This followed on from the publication in part form in early 1908 of Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys". After the summer break that year, the boys asked Mr James Riach, the schoolmaster, to take control of the Troop, and he served as Scoutmaster until around 1915, when the Troop closed through the difficult times of the First World War. The Troop was revived in May 1921, under Admiral Sir Heathcote Grant, who lived at Boath, to the east of Nairn. He continued as Scoutmaster for about three years. Although there have been periods when only one section has been running, the 1st Nairn Scout Group has continued since then. In 1939 they re-erected in the grounds next to Millbank School a second-hand hut from Fort George. This was their headquarters until a few years ago, at which point it was beyond repair. The present 1st Nairn Scout Group has to meet in school premises. For many years, from 1935 until 1995, Nairn also supported a flourishing Sea Scout Troop, which had its headquarters at the harbour.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

1st Nairn Scouts camp at Drynachan

NAIRN: Cawdor

1940s

scouting; boy scouts; scouting movement; youth organisations; camping

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

A camp by 1st Nairn Scouts at Drynachan on the River Findhorn in 1945 or 1946. <br /> <br /> Back row, left to right: Scoutmaster Jim Clark, [unknown], [unknown], Solly Mackintosh, Atholl Murray, Roy Dale, [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], Ian Laidlaw, [unknown], John Mackay, John Forbes, [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], [unknown], County Commissioner Col. Wallace.<br /> <br /> Front row: George Murray, John Innes, rest unknown.<br /> <br /> If you are able to help us identify anyone else in this picture we would be delighted to hear from you.<br /> <br /> The 1st Nairn Scouts were formed in the early summer of 1908 by a group of boys coming together, all of whom had read "The Scout" magazine as it was issued from April in that year. This followed on from the publication in part form in early 1908 of Baden-Powell's "Scouting for Boys". After the summer break that year, the boys asked Mr James Riach, the schoolmaster, to take control of the Troop, and he served as Scoutmaster until around 1915, when the Troop closed through the difficult times of the First World War. The Troop was revived in May 1921, under Admiral Sir Heathcote Grant, who lived at Boath, to the east of Nairn. He continued as Scoutmaster for about three years. Although there have been periods when only one section has been running, the 1st Nairn Scout Group has continued since then. In 1939 they re-erected in the grounds next to Millbank School a second-hand hut from Fort George. This was their headquarters until a few years ago, at which point it was beyond repair. The present 1st Nairn Scout Group has to meet in school premises. For many years, from 1935 until 1995, Nairn also supported a flourishing Sea Scout Troop, which had its headquarters at the harbour.