Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Balmacara House
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_16_3_027
PLACENAME
Balmacara
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
19554
KEYWORDS
great houses
estates
Balmacara House

This photograph of Balmacara House (incorrectly spelled Balmacarra) is likely to be part of a numbered postcard series.

The original house was built on the shores of Loch Alsh c1801 by Sir Hugh Innes shortly after he bought the Lochalsh Estate. The original central block still visible today. The property caught the eye of William Daniell who produced a lovely aquatint of it c1817.

Innes lived in the house for a number of years and eventually sold it to Sir Alexander Matheson in the mid-19th century and he made several additions and alterations to the property. The Matheson family lived here until Duncraig Castle was built then Balmacara House and part of the estate was sold to Sir Daniel Hamilton. It remained in that family until his widow's death in 1947 when it was bequeathed to the National Trust.

Balmacara House was later used as an agricultural and horticultural college with students from all over the north of Scotland attending. Their studies included farm work, ploughing, animal husbandry and gardening. Later the house was leased to the Royal Navy for use as a training centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Balmacara House

ROSS: Lochalsh

1940s

great houses; estates

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

This photograph of Balmacara House (incorrectly spelled Balmacarra) is likely to be part of a numbered postcard series. <br /> <br /> The original house was built on the shores of Loch Alsh c1801 by Sir Hugh Innes shortly after he bought the Lochalsh Estate. The original central block still visible today. The property caught the eye of William Daniell who produced a lovely aquatint of it c1817. <br /> <br /> Innes lived in the house for a number of years and eventually sold it to Sir Alexander Matheson in the mid-19th century and he made several additions and alterations to the property. The Matheson family lived here until Duncraig Castle was built then Balmacara House and part of the estate was sold to Sir Daniel Hamilton. It remained in that family until his widow's death in 1947 when it was bequeathed to the National Trust.<br /> <br /> Balmacara House was later used as an agricultural and horticultural college with students from all over the north of Scotland attending. Their studies included farm work, ploughing, animal husbandry and gardening. Later the house was leased to the Royal Navy for use as a training centre.