Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ferry at Ardelve
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_HF_16_4_004
PLACENAME
Ardelve
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
Duncan Macpherson
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
19564
KEYWORDS
ferries
jetties
cars
boats
Ferry at Ardelve

A car is seen here being loaded on the ferry to make the crossing from Ardelve to Dornie.

The village of Dornie was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station with a seemingly abundant supply of herring promising prosperity. After the fishing declined, the population dropped but Dornie remained an important place as the ferry crossing provided quicker and easier access to Lochalsh and Skye.

The busy ferry service crossed Loch Long, Loch Alsh and Loch Duich with slipways at Totaig, Dornie and Ardelve and linked the parishes of Kintail and Lochalsh. In the final years of operation, the ferry service operated from 8am until 8pm daily including Sundays and holidays. The ferry service was replaced with a bridge linking Dornie and Ardelve in 1940 and a new bridge was built in 1990.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ferry at Ardelve

ROSS: Lochalsh

1920s

ferries; jetties; cars; boats

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

A car is seen here being loaded on the ferry to make the crossing from Ardelve to Dornie. <br /> <br /> The village of Dornie was originally laid out as a fishing/trading station with a seemingly abundant supply of herring promising prosperity. After the fishing declined, the population dropped but Dornie remained an important place as the ferry crossing provided quicker and easier access to Lochalsh and Skye. <br /> <br /> The busy ferry service crossed Loch Long, Loch Alsh and Loch Duich with slipways at Totaig, Dornie and Ardelve and linked the parishes of Kintail and Lochalsh. In the final years of operation, the ferry service operated from 8am until 8pm daily including Sundays and holidays. The ferry service was replaced with a bridge linking Dornie and Ardelve in 1940 and a new bridge was built in 1990.