Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burnett's Bakery, Academy Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
KIGHF_IMG_0003
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Folk Museum
ASSET ID
19744
KEYWORDS
shops
trading
bakers
Burnett's Bakery, Academy Street, Inverness

Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room.

In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burnett's Bakery, Academy Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

shops; trading; bakers

Highland Folk Museum

Highland Folk Museum Photographic Collection

Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room. <br /> <br /> In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999.