Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunkeld and Birnam Station, 2002
EXTERNAL ID
NRM_NBNW_HML_DS050036
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
DATE OF IMAGE
December 2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Lynn Patrick
SOURCE
National Railway Museum, York
ASSET ID
19898
KEYWORDS
railway
railways
railway stations
trains
Dunkeld and Birnam Station, 2002

A ScotRail service train passing through Dunkeld and Birnam station in December 2002.

Dunkeld station opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth & Dunkeld Railway. It was designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, and operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway in February 1864, and the line was continued north to Forres. Goods traffic ceased at the station in August 1969.

There are two platforms with a passing loop and the station building still stands, but the timber roof was removed many years ago. The footbridge remains in use and there is an old lamp by this bridge with the original company name on it. It was the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas. The south signal box also remains, and outside the box is an original Highland Railway signal with its finial - the only one that remains on the line.

The box is known as Dunkeld, but the station name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s and today it is known as Dunkeld and Birnam.

Dunkeld and Birnam are both villages which face one another across the River Tay, Birnam on the south bank, Dunkeld on the north. The station is closer to Birnam.

Background
Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.

'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.

We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:

Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunkeld and Birnam Station, 2002

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

2000s

railway; railways; railway stations; trains

National Railway Museum, York

North by Northwest - The Highland Line

A ScotRail service train passing through Dunkeld and Birnam station in December 2002.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld station opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth & Dunkeld Railway. It was designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, and operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway in February 1864, and the line was continued north to Forres. Goods traffic ceased at the station in August 1969.<br /> <br /> There are two platforms with a passing loop and the station building still stands, but the timber roof was removed many years ago. The footbridge remains in use and there is an old lamp by this bridge with the original company name on it. It was the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas. The south signal box also remains, and outside the box is an original Highland Railway signal with its finial - the only one that remains on the line.<br /> <br /> The box is known as Dunkeld, but the station name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s and today it is known as Dunkeld and Birnam.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld and Birnam are both villages which face one another across the River Tay, Birnam on the south bank, Dunkeld on the north. The station is closer to Birnam.<br /> <br /> Background<br /> Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.<br /> <br /> 'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:<br /> <br /> Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.