Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
George Holyhead, a former signaller, at Dunkeld & Birnam station, 2002
EXTERNAL ID
NRM_NBNW_HML_DS050429
PLACENAME
Dunkeld
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally
DATE OF IMAGE
April 2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Lynn Patrick
SOURCE
National Railway Museum, York
ASSET ID
19951
KEYWORDS
railway stations
railways
George Holyhead, a former signaller, at Dunkeld & Birnam station, 2002

Photographed in April 2002, George Holyhead, a former signaller, retired from the railway in 2002, is standing on Dunkeld and Birnam station. In the distance is Dunkeld south signal box where he used to work. As with many railway families, his son has followed him on to the railway and is employed as a driver by Virgin Trains.

The south signal box controls the traffic approaching and passing through Dunkeld and Birnam station. Located outside the box is an original Highland Railway signal with its finial, the only one that remains on the line. The box is known as Dunkeld but the station name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861 when its name was changed to Dunkeld. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s, and today it is known as Dunkeld and Birnam.

The station has two platforms with a passing loop. The station building still stands but the timber roof was removed many years ago. The footbridge remains in use and there is an old lamp by this bridge with the original company name on it. It was also the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas.

Dunkeld Station opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth & Dunkeld Railway. It was designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, and was operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway in February 1864, and the line was continued north to Forres. Goods traffic ceased at the station in August 1969.

Background
Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.

'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.

We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:

Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

George Holyhead, a former signaller, at Dunkeld & Birnam station, 2002

PERTH: Dunkeld and Dowally

2000s

railway stations; railways

National Railway Museum, York

North by Northwest - The Highland Line

Photographed in April 2002, George Holyhead, a former signaller, retired from the railway in 2002, is standing on Dunkeld and Birnam station. In the distance is Dunkeld south signal box where he used to work. As with many railway families, his son has followed him on to the railway and is employed as a driver by Virgin Trains.<br /> <br /> The south signal box controls the traffic approaching and passing through Dunkeld and Birnam station. Located outside the box is an original Highland Railway signal with its finial, the only one that remains on the line. The box is known as Dunkeld but the station name has changed a number of times over the years. It was known as Birnam until 1 December 1861 when its name was changed to Dunkeld. On 1 January 1903 it was renamed Dunkeld and Birnam. It reverted to Dunkeld in the 1970s, and today it is known as Dunkeld and Birnam.<br /> <br /> The station has two platforms with a passing loop. The station building still stands but the timber roof was removed many years ago. The footbridge remains in use and there is an old lamp by this bridge with the original company name on it. It was also the last station in Scotland to be lit by gas.<br /> <br /> Dunkeld Station opened on 7 April 1856 as a terminus on the Perth & Dunkeld Railway. It was designed by Andrew Heiton, a Perth architect, and was operated by the Scottish Midland Junction Railway. This was absorbed by the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway in February 1864, and the line was continued north to Forres. Goods traffic ceased at the station in August 1969.<br /> <br /> Background<br /> Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.<br /> <br /> 'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:<br /> <br /> Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.