Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A service train crossing the Killiecrankie Viaduct, 2002
EXTERNAL ID
NRM_NBNW_HML_DS050450
PLACENAME
Killiecrankie
DISTRICT
Perthshire - Highland
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
PERTH: Blair Atholl
DATE OF IMAGE
February 2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Lynn Patrick
SOURCE
National Railway Museum, York
ASSET ID
19972
KEYWORDS
railway
railways
trains
viaducts
A service train crossing the Killiecrankie Viaduct, 2002

A ScotRail Class 158 service train photographed in February 2002 crosses the Killiecrankie viaduct which forms a backdrop to the dramatic Soldier's Leap.

The viaduct carries the Highland main line along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie to the south of the village of Killiecrankie and below the visitor centre for the Pass; it also crosses an unnamed burn and forms a backdrop to the dramatic 'Soldier's Leap'. The River Garry here forms the boundary between the parishes of Moulin to the east and Blair Atholl to the west. The entire length of the viaduct lies within Moulin. The viaduct was built in 1863 by Joseph Mitchell for what was the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway that became the Highland Railway Company in 1865. Constructed in the Baronial style at a cost of £5,730.00, it is a ten segmental arched structure with the arch rings of dressed stone, and the spandrels of rubble. It includes castellated refuges at the ends and in the centre a crenellated parapet. The viaduct is 155 meters (510 feet) in length, 16meters (54ft) in height at its maximum and each arch spans 11 meters (35 feet) and leads directly into a tunnel. The structure was B-Listed for its architectural importance in 1971 and is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.

In 1998 the viaduct was both repaired and strengthened to allow track speeds of up to 201km/h (125mph). These improvements were part of an extensive programme covering the entire length of the Inverness main line from Perth.

Background
Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.

'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.

We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:

Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A service train crossing the Killiecrankie Viaduct, 2002

PERTH: Blair Atholl

2000s

railway; railways; trains; viaducts

National Railway Museum, York

North by Northwest - The Highland Line

A ScotRail Class 158 service train photographed in February 2002 crosses the Killiecrankie viaduct which forms a backdrop to the dramatic Soldier's Leap. <br /> <br /> The viaduct carries the Highland main line along the east side of the Pass of Killiecrankie to the south of the village of Killiecrankie and below the visitor centre for the Pass; it also crosses an unnamed burn and forms a backdrop to the dramatic 'Soldier's Leap'. The River Garry here forms the boundary between the parishes of Moulin to the east and Blair Atholl to the west. The entire length of the viaduct lies within Moulin. The viaduct was built in 1863 by Joseph Mitchell for what was the Inverness & Perth Junction Railway that became the Highland Railway Company in 1865. Constructed in the Baronial style at a cost of £5,730.00, it is a ten segmental arched structure with the arch rings of dressed stone, and the spandrels of rubble. It includes castellated refuges at the ends and in the centre a crenellated parapet. The viaduct is 155 meters (510 feet) in length, 16meters (54ft) in height at its maximum and each arch spans 11 meters (35 feet) and leads directly into a tunnel. The structure was B-Listed for its architectural importance in 1971 and is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland. <br /> <br /> In 1998 the viaduct was both repaired and strengthened to allow track speeds of up to 201km/h (125mph). These improvements were part of an extensive programme covering the entire length of the Inverness main line from Perth. <br /> <br /> Background<br /> Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.<br /> <br /> 'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:<br /> <br /> Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.