Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Former station buildings at Moy, 2002
EXTERNAL ID
NRM_NBNW_HML_DS050498
PLACENAME
Moy
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie
DATE OF IMAGE
26 November 2002
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Lynn Patrick
SOURCE
National Railway Museum, York
ASSET ID
20018
KEYWORDS
railway
railways
railway stations
Former station buildings at Moy, 2002

Moy former station buildings have been home to Neil and Ruth Mantle since 1999. The platform provides kennels for their Siberian Huskies with whom they compete on the sled dog racing circuit. The couple operate a self-catering business in the self-enclosed Mackintosh Wing, built in 1896 for the 28th Chief of the Clan Chatten. Neil and Ruth were photographed outside their home on 26 November 2002.

The station opened in 1897 when the Highland Railway built the Carrbridge and Daviot section of the Inverness & Aviemore Direct Railway. The final section of this line was completed to Millburn Junction in Inverness on 1 November 1898. This completion provided a direct route between Inverness and Aviemore. The Highland Railway became part of the LMS in 1923. The Dr Beeching report, under British Railways, ordered the closure of small country stations. The surviving stations on this section of the line were Inverness, Carrbridge and Aviemore. The station at Moy closed in 1965. It still has a passing loop which is controlled remotely from the signal box at Aviemore.

Background
Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.

'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.

We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:

Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Former station buildings at Moy, 2002

INVERNESS: Moy and Dalarossie

2000s

railway; railways; railway stations

National Railway Museum, York

North by Northwest - The Highland Line

Moy former station buildings have been home to Neil and Ruth Mantle since 1999. The platform provides kennels for their Siberian Huskies with whom they compete on the sled dog racing circuit. The couple operate a self-catering business in the self-enclosed Mackintosh Wing, built in 1896 for the 28th Chief of the Clan Chatten. Neil and Ruth were photographed outside their home on 26 November 2002.<br /> <br /> The station opened in 1897 when the Highland Railway built the Carrbridge and Daviot section of the Inverness & Aviemore Direct Railway. The final section of this line was completed to Millburn Junction in Inverness on 1 November 1898. This completion provided a direct route between Inverness and Aviemore. The Highland Railway became part of the LMS in 1923. The Dr Beeching report, under British Railways, ordered the closure of small country stations. The surviving stations on this section of the line were Inverness, Carrbridge and Aviemore. The station at Moy closed in 1965. It still has a passing loop which is controlled remotely from the signal box at Aviemore.<br /> <br /> Background<br /> Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.<br /> <br /> 'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:<br /> <br /> Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.