Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ian MacLeod, a fitter-driver at Lochluichart power station, 1997
EXTERNAL ID
NRM_NBNW_KL_DS080596
PLACENAME
Loch Luichart
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
DATE OF IMAGE
May 1997
PERIOD
1990s
CREATOR
Chris Hogg
SOURCE
National Railway Museum, York
ASSET ID
20081
KEYWORDS
railway
railways
hydro-electricity
Ian MacLeod, a fitter-driver at Lochluichart power station, 1997

Ian MacLeod, a fitter-driver, photographed in May 1997 at the Mossford Hydro-Electric power station at Lochluichart. He retired after 40 years of service after following his father into the business. He joined the staff at Mossford when it was commissioned in 1954.

Mossford was one of Britain's first hydro-electric schemes and its construction in the 1950s caused the Kyle line to be realigned as the track bed had to be moved to higher ground to avoid floodwater levels in Loch Luichart. A new station was also built and opened in 1954. The station closed to goods traffic on 27 January 1964 leaving only the service trains, which still call today. The old station was opened to the public in 1872 having been previously a private platform for Lady Ashburton on the Lochluichart Lodge estate.

Background
Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.

'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.

We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:

Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ian MacLeod, a fitter-driver at Lochluichart power station, 1997

ROSS: Contin

1990s

railway; railways; hydro-electricity

National Railway Museum, York

North by Northwest - The Kyle Line

Ian MacLeod, a fitter-driver, photographed in May 1997 at the Mossford Hydro-Electric power station at Lochluichart. He retired after 40 years of service after following his father into the business. He joined the staff at Mossford when it was commissioned in 1954. <br /> <br /> Mossford was one of Britain's first hydro-electric schemes and its construction in the 1950s caused the Kyle line to be realigned as the track bed had to be moved to higher ground to avoid floodwater levels in Loch Luichart. A new station was also built and opened in 1954. The station closed to goods traffic on 27 January 1964 leaving only the service trains, which still call today. The old station was opened to the public in 1872 having been previously a private platform for Lady Ashburton on the Lochluichart Lodge estate.<br /> <br /> Background<br /> Over one hundred years ago, two of the most picturesque railways in the world, the Kyle line and the Far North line, were built. Linking them to the rest of the UK rail network is the Highland main line. From 1997 to 2003 the National Railway Museum photographed these three lines, and from the images three exhibitions were created - 'Connection to the Kyle', 'By Firth and Flow' and 'The Highland Link'. The exhibitions were hosted on the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN) under the digital exhibition 'North by Northwest' which officially launched the National Archive of Scotland site on 5 June 2001 in Inverness. The collaboration with SCAN lasted until 2009 when 'North by Northwest' was transferred to the Am Baile website.<br /> <br /> 'North by Northwest' documents living history and records a snapshot of time in the lives of the people and the lines during the closing years of the twentieth century and the emergence of the twenty-first century. The exhibitions celebrated the impact of the Highland railways on the people, landscape and economy of the Scottish Highlands.<br /> <br /> We acknowledge support from the following sponsors who funded the photographic survey of the Highland main line, the Kyle and the Far North lines by the National Railway Museum photographers between 1997 and 2003:<br /> <br /> Railtrack, Railtrack-Scotland, ScotRail, EWS, Porterbrook, First Engineering, The Highland Rail Network Development Partnership, The Highland Council, Ross & Cromarty Enterprise, Caithness & Sutherland Enterprise, Safeways, Friends of the National Railway Museum, Perth & Kinross Council, and the Highland Railway Society.