Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
YWCA building, Raining's Stairs, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN4_56
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20169
KEYWORDS
YWCA
Rainings Stairs
Inverness
Raining's School
schools
YWCA building, Raining's Stairs, Inverness

The YWCA building, Raining's Stairs, Inverness, originally Raining's School. In 1726 John Raining, a merchant from Norwich, bequeathed £1200 to establish a fund to support charitable schools in the Highlands. The trust was administered by The Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge who built a three-storey school at the end of Ardconnel Street in 1757. Extensions were added in 1840 and 1881 but by 1894 the pupils had been transferred to the nearby High School. The building was demolished in 1976. Raining's Stairs, named to commemorate the benefactor, lead from Ardconnel Street to Castle Street


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

YWCA building, Raining's Stairs, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

YWCA; Rainings Stairs; Inverness; Raining's School; schools

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The YWCA building, Raining's Stairs, Inverness, originally Raining's School. In 1726 John Raining, a merchant from Norwich, bequeathed £1200 to establish a fund to support charitable schools in the Highlands. The trust was administered by The Society for the Propagation of Christian Knowledge who built a three-storey school at the end of Ardconnel Street in 1757. Extensions were added in 1840 and 1881 but by 1894 the pupils had been transferred to the nearby High School. The building was demolished in 1976. Raining's Stairs, named to commemorate the benefactor, lead from Ardconnel Street to Castle Street <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.