Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A small boy watching a parade at Cameron Barracks
EXTERNAL ID
PAN5_11
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
c.1954
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20190
KEYWORDS
soldiers
army
military
Highland regiments
boys
marching
parades
Cameron Highlanders
A small boy watching a parade at Cameron Barracks

The small boy, perhaps the photographer's son, is watching a Passing-out Parade of recruits at Cameron Barracks, Inverness, the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders The barracks were begun in 1876 when, under the Localisation Scheme, it was planned to give each regiment its own permanent Depot and Territorial District for recruiting. When the plans for the Army Reforms were announced in 1881, Inverness-shire was allocated to The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. As the barracks at Inverness were not yet complete, the Depot of the Cameron Highlanders spent five years at Fort George with the Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders until Cameron Barracks were ready for occupation in 1886.



Cameron Barracks remained the Regimental Depot of the Cameron Highlanders until 1960 when all regimental depots were abolished as part of cuts in the Armed Forces. After 1960 Regimental Headquarters of the Queen's Own Highlanders remained at Cameron Barracks, and they are still Home Headquarters of The Highlanders (4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland).



(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).





This image can be purchased.

For further information about purchasing and prices please email the

Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A small boy watching a parade at Cameron Barracks

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

soldiers; army; military; Highland regiments; boys; marching; parades; Cameron Highlanders

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The small boy, perhaps the photographer's son, is watching a Passing-out Parade of recruits at Cameron Barracks, Inverness, the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders The barracks were begun in 1876 when, under the Localisation Scheme, it was planned to give each regiment its own permanent Depot and Territorial District for recruiting. When the plans for the Army Reforms were announced in 1881, Inverness-shire was allocated to The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. As the barracks at Inverness were not yet complete, the Depot of the Cameron Highlanders spent five years at Fort George with the Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders until Cameron Barracks were ready for occupation in 1886. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> Cameron Barracks remained the Regimental Depot of the Cameron Highlanders until 1960 when all regimental depots were abolished as part of cuts in the Armed Forces. After 1960 Regimental Headquarters of the Queen's Own Highlanders remained at Cameron Barracks, and they are still Home Headquarters of The Highlanders (4th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland).<br /><br /> <br /><br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> This image can be purchased.<br /><br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /><br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.