Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ice-cream queue at the Northern Meeting Park, 1950s
EXTERNAL ID
PAN7_1
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20235
KEYWORDS
Northern Meeting
parks
events
Ice-cream queue at the Northern Meeting Park, 1950s

The Northern Meeting Society was founded in Inverness in 1788 to promote a variety of social activities and events including piping competitions, balls and Highland Games. In 1822 the society gave financial help for a Highland Games held at Dunaincroy. These games became an annual feature from 1837 onwards and in 1864 the Northern Meeting Park in Ardross Street was built to host the event. The games were held there until the onset of World War II. In 1946 the Northern Meeting Park was sold to Inverness Burgh Council. Thereafter, the games were held in Bught Park although the premier piping competitions were held separately..

This year (2010) the City of Inverness Highland Games returns to the Northern Meeting Park.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ice-cream queue at the Northern Meeting Park, 1950s

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

Northern Meeting; parks; events

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The Northern Meeting Society was founded in Inverness in 1788 to promote a variety of social activities and events including piping competitions, balls and Highland Games. In 1822 the society gave financial help for a Highland Games held at Dunaincroy. These games became an annual feature from 1837 onwards and in 1864 the Northern Meeting Park in Ardross Street was built to host the event. The games were held there until the onset of World War II. In 1946 the Northern Meeting Park was sold to Inverness Burgh Council. Thereafter, the games were held in Bught Park although the premier piping competitions were held separately..<br /> <br /> This year (2010) the City of Inverness Highland Games returns to the Northern Meeting Park. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />