Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
HMS Vanguard at Invergordon
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_9_35
PLACENAME
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20314
KEYWORDS
navy
battleships
warships
ship building
Invergordon
shipyards
Royal Navy
ships
HMS Vanguard at Invergordon

The name 'Vanguard' has been associated with many naval ships throughout the years. This HMS Vanguard was the largest warship ever built in Great Britain at that time. She was 814 feet long and weighed 45,000 tons. She was launched from the John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank on 30 November 1944.

HMS Vanguard was based at Portsmouth but often used Invergordon as a northern base. She had eight 15-inch guns and state-of-the-art anti-aircraft equipment for the time. In 1960, HMS Vanguard was towed from Portsmouth to Faslane, on the Gare Loch, where she was scrapped, having only ever fired her guns twice and never in anger.

The current HMS Vanguard is a Vanguard-class submarine based at the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

HMS Vanguard at Invergordon

ROSS: Rosskeen

1950s

navy; battleships; warships; ship building; Invergordon; shipyards; Royal Navy; ships

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The name 'Vanguard' has been associated with many naval ships throughout the years. This HMS Vanguard was the largest warship ever built in Great Britain at that time. She was 814 feet long and weighed 45,000 tons. She was launched from the John Brown Shipyard in Clydebank on 30 November 1944.<br /> <br /> HMS Vanguard was based at Portsmouth but often used Invergordon as a northern base. She had eight 15-inch guns and state-of-the-art anti-aircraft equipment for the time. In 1960, HMS Vanguard was towed from Portsmouth to Faslane, on the Gare Loch, where she was scrapped, having only ever fired her guns twice and never in anger.<br /> <br /> The current HMS Vanguard is a Vanguard-class submarine based at the Clyde Naval Base at Faslane <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />