Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board Dairy Equipment
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_10_55
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20339
KEYWORDS
dairy farming
sale of goods
North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board Dairy Equipment

Machinery belonging to the North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board.

The North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board came into existence in 1934. Its headquarters were at Greig Street, Inverness. They also had workshops and a creamery built in 1936.The main role of the Board was to market the milk from registered producers in the area.

The original area covered by the Board comprised the counties of Caithness, Inverness, Nairn, Ross & Cromarty, and Sutherland. Moray was added in 1944 and Orkney in 1946. 900,000 gallons of milk were produced in the first year of operations. This increased to nearly 2,000,000 gallons in 1939 and 7,588,898 gallons in 1950. An important part of the Board's work was ensuring that surplus milk was taken to the remote areas of the Western Isles.

The minutes, accounts, reports and publicity material of the North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board from 1934-1990 are held in the Highland Council Archives in Inverness


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board Dairy Equipment

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

dairy farming; sale of goods

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Machinery belonging to the North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board.<br /> <br /> The North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board came into existence in 1934. Its headquarters were at Greig Street, Inverness. They also had workshops and a creamery built in 1936.The main role of the Board was to market the milk from registered producers in the area.<br /> <br /> The original area covered by the Board comprised the counties of Caithness, Inverness, Nairn, Ross & Cromarty, and Sutherland. Moray was added in 1944 and Orkney in 1946. 900,000 gallons of milk were produced in the first year of operations. This increased to nearly 2,000,000 gallons in 1939 and 7,588,898 gallons in 1950. An important part of the Board's work was ensuring that surplus milk was taken to the remote areas of the Western Isles. <br /> <br /> The minutes, accounts, reports and publicity material of the North of Scotland Milk Marketing Board from 1934-1990 are held in the Highland Council Archives in Inverness <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.