Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Luichart Power Station
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_10_82
PLACENAME
Luichart Power Station
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20344
KEYWORDS
Hydro Electric
electricity
dams
power stations
water
construction
Operation Bathplug
North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board
Luichart Power Station

This is believed to be Luichart Power Station, part of the Conon Hydro- Electric Scheme, under construction in the 1950s

There are seven dams and power stations, 20 miles of tunnels and 15 miles of aqueducts in the Conon Hydro Electric scheme. It involved raising the water level of Loch Fannich using a series of aqueducts, tunnels and a rock fill dam. A large plug of rock then had to be blasted from the side of Loch Fannich to complete a tunnel to Grudie Power Station in what became known as 'Operation Bathplug'.

Dams at Loch Droma and Strath Vaich send water to Glascarnoch Power Station and then on to Mossford Power Station and into Loch Luichart.

Luichart Power Station is the largest in the Scheme and was commissioned in 1954.
Several of the power stations, including Luichart, Grudie Bridge and Mossford, were designed by the same man, James Shearer, and look very similar to each other. Shearer was also responsible for the Pictish carvings in some of the Power Stations.

The Northern Highlands of Scotland saw the pioneering of commercial hydro-electric power development in the UK at Foyers, on the southern shore of Loch Ness, in 1898


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Luichart Power Station

ROSS: Contin

1950s

Hydro Electric; electricity; dams; power stations; water; construction; Operation Bathplug; North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

This is believed to be Luichart Power Station, part of the Conon Hydro- Electric Scheme, under construction in the 1950s<br /> <br /> There are seven dams and power stations, 20 miles of tunnels and 15 miles of aqueducts in the Conon Hydro Electric scheme. It involved raising the water level of Loch Fannich using a series of aqueducts, tunnels and a rock fill dam. A large plug of rock then had to be blasted from the side of Loch Fannich to complete a tunnel to Grudie Power Station in what became known as 'Operation Bathplug'.<br /> <br /> Dams at Loch Droma and Strath Vaich send water to Glascarnoch Power Station and then on to Mossford Power Station and into Loch Luichart.<br /> <br /> Luichart Power Station is the largest in the Scheme and was commissioned in 1954.<br /> Several of the power stations, including Luichart, Grudie Bridge and Mossford, were designed by the same man, James Shearer, and look very similar to each other. Shearer was also responsible for the Pictish carvings in some of the Power Stations.<br /> <br /> The Northern Highlands of Scotland saw the pioneering of commercial hydro-electric power development in the UK at Foyers, on the southern shore of Loch Ness, in 1898 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />