Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Father George McCurrach
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_11_56
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20360
KEYWORDS
churches
convents
orders
reformation
Father George McCurrach

Father George McCurrach was first parish priest at St Ninian's, Culduthel Road, Inverness. The original St Ninian's was built in 1960 and became only the second Catholic church to be built in Inverness since the Reformation (St Mary's, Huntly Street, was the first in 1837).

The church was built on the site of the Convent School hostel run by the Sisters of Notre Dame and, after 1953, nuns from the Order of La Sagesse (Daughters of Wisdom). The hostel was badly damaged by fire in 1959 and the church was built on the remaining foundations.

As Inverness grew in the 1960s it became clear that St Ninian's would be too small to serve its congregation and a new building was designed in 1976 which incorporated the basement of the original church


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Father George McCurrach

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1960s

churches; convents; orders; reformation

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Father George McCurrach was first parish priest at St Ninian's, Culduthel Road, Inverness. The original St Ninian's was built in 1960 and became only the second Catholic church to be built in Inverness since the Reformation (St Mary's, Huntly Street, was the first in 1837).<br /> <br /> The church was built on the site of the Convent School hostel run by the Sisters of Notre Dame and, after 1953, nuns from the Order of La Sagesse (Daughters of Wisdom). The hostel was badly damaged by fire in 1959 and the church was built on the remaining foundations.<br /> <br /> As Inverness grew in the 1960s it became clear that St Ninian's would be too small to serve its congregation and a new building was designed in 1976 which incorporated the basement of the original church <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.