Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_12_46
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20378
KEYWORDS
Abertarff House
Church Street
Inverness
turnpike staircase
Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness. Built in 1593, this is one of the oldest houses in Inverness. It is a fine example of domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries and is the only house in the burgh containing a turnpike staircase.

Originally the town house of Colonel Archibald Fraser of Beaufort and Abertarff, (son of Lord Lovat of the '45 rebellion), it remained Fraser property until the mid-nineteenth century when it was acquired by the National Commercial Bank of Scotland who remained the owner for about 100 years. It was fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966 and was their regional headquarters until their recent move to Balnain House in Huntly Street


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

Abertarff House; Church Street; Inverness; turnpike staircase

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness. Built in 1593, this is one of the oldest houses in Inverness. It is a fine example of domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries and is the only house in the burgh containing a turnpike staircase.<br /> <br /> Originally the town house of Colonel Archibald Fraser of Beaufort and Abertarff, (son of Lord Lovat of the '45 rebellion), it remained Fraser property until the mid-nineteenth century when it was acquired by the National Commercial Bank of Scotland who remained the owner for about 100 years. It was fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966 and was their regional headquarters until their recent move to Balnain House in Huntly Street <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.