Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_12_46_RR
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Robert Reid
SOURCE
Robert Reid
ASSET ID
20379
KEYWORDS
Abertarff House
Church Street
Inverness
turnpike staircase
Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

Built in 1593, this is one of the oldest houses in Inverness. It is a fine example of domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries and is the only house in the burgh containing a turnpike staircase.

Originally the town house of Colonel Archibald Fraser of Beaufort and Abertarff, (son of Lord Lovat of the '45 rebellion), it remained Fraser property until the mid-nineteenth century when it was acquired by the National Commercial Bank of Scotland who remained the owner for about 100 years. It was fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966 and was their regional headquarters until their recent move to Balnain House in Huntly Street

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Abertarff House, Church Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

2000s

Abertarff House; Church Street; Inverness; turnpike staircase

Robert Reid

Built in 1593, this is one of the oldest houses in Inverness. It is a fine example of domestic architecture of the 16th and 17th centuries and is the only house in the burgh containing a turnpike staircase.<br /> <br /> Originally the town house of Colonel Archibald Fraser of Beaufort and Abertarff, (son of Lord Lovat of the '45 rebellion), it remained Fraser property until the mid-nineteenth century when it was acquired by the National Commercial Bank of Scotland who remained the owner for about 100 years. It was fully restored by the National Trust for Scotland in 1966 and was their regional headquarters until their recent move to Balnain House in Huntly Street