Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
A Passing-out Parade at the Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1952.
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_12_89
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1952
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20387
KEYWORDS
highland regiments
army
uniforms
A Passing-out Parade at the Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1952.

After World War II the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was re-established at Cameron Barracks, Inverness. From 1952 the Regimental Depot became responsible for training all Regular and National Service recruits for the Regiment, and the photograph shows a Passing-out Parade of recruits in 1952. The pipers in the background were provided by the Highland Brigade Depot at Fort George. The inspecting officer is accompanied by Major Duncan M Geddes MBE, MC who commanded the Depot from 1950-52. Shortly after he joined The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1934, he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery in Palestine in 1936. Although severely wounded and losing his right arm, he served on in the Army, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1955.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A Passing-out Parade at the Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders, 1952.

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

highland regiments; army; uniforms

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

After World War II the Regimental Depot of The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders was re-established at Cameron Barracks, Inverness. From 1952 the Regimental Depot became responsible for training all Regular and National Service recruits for the Regiment, and the photograph shows a Passing-out Parade of recruits in 1952. The pipers in the background were provided by the Highland Brigade Depot at Fort George. The inspecting officer is accompanied by Major Duncan M Geddes MBE, MC who commanded the Depot from 1950-52. Shortly after he joined The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders in 1934, he was awarded the Military Cross for bravery in Palestine in 1936. Although severely wounded and losing his right arm, he served on in the Army, retiring as a Lieutenant Colonel in 1955.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.