Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverness Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_14_38
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20416
KEYWORDS
harbours
vehicles
ships
boats
Inverness Harbour

Inverness Harbour, taken from Shore Street. The lorry belongs to a local firm, Robertson's Transport Company

The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.

The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.

20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels of up to 22 feet draft are able to dock


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverness Harbour

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

harbours; vehicles; ships; boats

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Inverness Harbour, taken from Shore Street. The lorry belongs to a local firm, Robertson's Transport Company<br /> <br /> The first quay was built in Inverness c.1650 at a cost of £300. It allowed vessels of up to 80 tons to dock. A new quay (the 'Citadel' Quay) was begun in 1725 but lack of funds prevented its completion until the 1790s. Improvements were made to both quays in the early 19th century. The Thornbush Quay was added in 1817.<br /> <br /> The Inverness Harbour Trust was established by the Inverness Harbour Act (1847). Further improvements, totalling £8,000, were carried out in 1883 which had the effect of increasing the annual dues from £1,000 to nearly £2,000.<br /> <br /> 20th century developments included a huge increase in cargoes of cement for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board and an expansion of oil and petrol storage facilities. Vessels of up to 22 feet draft are able to dock <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.