Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old High Church and Greyfriars Free Church, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_15_94
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20463
KEYWORDS
religion
Old High Church and Greyfriars Free Church, Inverness

The wall seen to the right of this image is part of the Old High Church, located on Church Street in Inverness. Part of the church tower dates from the fourteenth century, but most of the building is eighteenth century in origin, with some additions made in the nineteenth century. The site of the church has been a place of worship since Celtic times.

The wall seen to the left of the image is part of Greyfriars Free Church, also known as the old Gaelic Church. The Gaelic Church was established in the aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. It is said that the King provided a sum of money to build a church for loyal Gaelic-speaking Government troops who were garrisoned in the area and who could not attend worship at the Old High Church.

On 5th March 1830, the Inverness Journal reported that Ezekiel Caspar Auerbach, a thirty-five year old Jew from Warsaw, Poland, had been baptised and received into membership at the Gaelic Church. The Journal reported that the Church was "crowded to excess...with persons anxious to witness a scene so novel in this part of the country".

In 1954 the Gaelic Church was purchased by the Rev. Ewan MacQueen and his congregation, who had split from the Free Presbyterian Church in 1936. The building was briefly renamed the MacQueen Memorial Church until 1958, when the congregation joined the Free Church of Scotland and the building became known as Greyfriars Free Church.

In 1994, the building was sold, and is now a second-hand bookshop.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old High Church and Greyfriars Free Church, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s; 1960s

religion

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The wall seen to the right of this image is part of the Old High Church, located on Church Street in Inverness. Part of the church tower dates from the fourteenth century, but most of the building is eighteenth century in origin, with some additions made in the nineteenth century. The site of the church has been a place of worship since Celtic times.<br /> <br /> The wall seen to the left of the image is part of Greyfriars Free Church, also known as the old Gaelic Church. The Gaelic Church was established in the aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion. It is said that the King provided a sum of money to build a church for loyal Gaelic-speaking Government troops who were garrisoned in the area and who could not attend worship at the Old High Church.<br /> <br /> On 5th March 1830, the Inverness Journal reported that Ezekiel Caspar Auerbach, a thirty-five year old Jew from Warsaw, Poland, had been baptised and received into membership at the Gaelic Church. The Journal reported that the Church was "crowded to excess...with persons anxious to witness a scene so novel in this part of the country". <br /> <br /> In 1954 the Gaelic Church was purchased by the Rev. Ewan MacQueen and his congregation, who had split from the Free Presbyterian Church in 1936. The building was briefly renamed the MacQueen Memorial Church until 1958, when the congregation joined the Free Church of Scotland and the building became known as Greyfriars Free Church. <br /> <br /> In 1994, the building was sold, and is now a second-hand bookshop. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.