Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Horse-drawn carriage at Rosehaugh House, Black Isle
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_16_60
PLACENAME
Rosehaugh
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Avoch
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20475
KEYWORDS
Horse-drawn carriages
Rosehaugh Estate
Rosehaugh House
James Fletcher
estates
Alexander Ross
Avoch
Horse-drawn carriage at Rosehaugh House, Black Isle

This horse-drawn carriage belonged to Rosehaugh House in the parish of Avoch on the Black Isle. Rosehaugh House was one of the largest mansions in the Highlands. Originally built for Sir Roderick MacKenzie of Scatwell in 1798, it was bought by James Fletcher of Avoch in 1864. Fletcher was the wealthy owner of large tea plantations in Ceylon. He employed the architect Alexander Ross to extend the house. Further extensions were carried out by Fletcher's son, James Douglas Fletcher.

The house was demolished in 1959. In its heyday it could be seen for miles around. It even had its own private railway station. In its grounds were several large greenhouses, a large sports pavillion, tennis courts and a curling rink. There were stables and harness rooms and a coach house to house the carriages like the example here.

At its height, the estate employed 14 gamekeepers and extended from Eathie in the east to near Munlochy in the west


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Horse-drawn carriage at Rosehaugh House, Black Isle

ROSS: Avoch

1950s

Horse-drawn carriages; Rosehaugh Estate; Rosehaugh House; James Fletcher; estates; Alexander Ross; Avoch

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

This horse-drawn carriage belonged to Rosehaugh House in the parish of Avoch on the Black Isle. Rosehaugh House was one of the largest mansions in the Highlands. Originally built for Sir Roderick MacKenzie of Scatwell in 1798, it was bought by James Fletcher of Avoch in 1864. Fletcher was the wealthy owner of large tea plantations in Ceylon. He employed the architect Alexander Ross to extend the house. Further extensions were carried out by Fletcher's son, James Douglas Fletcher.<br /> <br /> The house was demolished in 1959. In its heyday it could be seen for miles around. It even had its own private railway station. In its grounds were several large greenhouses, a large sports pavillion, tennis courts and a curling rink. There were stables and harness rooms and a coach house to house the carriages like the example here. <br /> <br /> At its height, the estate employed 14 gamekeepers and extended from Eathie in the east to near Munlochy in the west <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />