Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Polish ship and trawler in the Moray Firth
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_17_40
PLACENAME
Moray Firth
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1954
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20494
KEYWORDS
ships
boats
trawlers
fishing
Poland
fish
Polish
Moray Firth
flags
merchants
navy
sailors
Polish ship and trawler in the Moray Firth

This photograph shows a Polish ship, 'Lechistan', and a Polish trawler, 'Pluton', in the Moray Firth in 1954. The 'Lechistan' was registered in Gdynia which is a port on the Baltic coast of Poland between Gdansk and Puck. She was built in 1929, her tonnage was 1907 and she was originally named 'Hemland'. The 'Pluton' was built in 1926, her tonnage was 336 and she was originally named 'Christ Mahlman'. The flag being flown by the Lechistan is most probably the Polish State and Merchant Flag which has a red lower stripe, a white upper stripe with a white eagle in a red box in the middle of the upper white stripe.

(With thanks to Marek Twardowski for the additional information)


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Polish ship and trawler in the Moray Firth

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

ships; boats; trawlers; fishing; Poland; fish; Polish; Moray Firth; flags; merchants; navy; sailors

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

This photograph shows a Polish ship, 'Lechistan', and a Polish trawler, 'Pluton', in the Moray Firth in 1954. The 'Lechistan' was registered in Gdynia which is a port on the Baltic coast of Poland between Gdansk and Puck. She was built in 1929, her tonnage was 1907 and she was originally named 'Hemland'. The 'Pluton' was built in 1926, her tonnage was 336 and she was originally named 'Christ Mahlman'. The flag being flown by the Lechistan is most probably the Polish State and Merchant Flag which has a red lower stripe, a white upper stripe with a white eagle in a red box in the middle of the upper white stripe.<br /> <br /> (With thanks to Marek Twardowski for the additional information) <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.