Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The old Gaelic Church on Church Street in Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_17_52
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1954
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20498
KEYWORDS
churches
Church Street
Gaelic Church
Greyfriars Free Church
bookshops
The old Gaelic Church on Church Street in Inverness

The old Gaelic Church on Church Street in Inverness. The church was built in 1649, rebuilt in 1792-3 and reconstructed again in 1822. Some alterations were made to the building between 1885 and 1887. In 1827 gas-lighting was installed in the church, allowing for the first regularly held evening services in English to occur in the town. In later years the congregation of the Gaelic Church transferrred to St. Mary's in Dalneigh and the building in Church Street became Greyfriars Free Church. Today, the building is used as a second-hand bookshop


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The old Gaelic Church on Church Street in Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

churches; Church Street; Gaelic Church; Greyfriars Free Church; bookshops

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The old Gaelic Church on Church Street in Inverness. The church was built in 1649, rebuilt in 1792-3 and reconstructed again in 1822. Some alterations were made to the building between 1885 and 1887. In 1827 gas-lighting was installed in the church, allowing for the first regularly held evening services in English to occur in the town. In later years the congregation of the Gaelic Church transferrred to St. Mary's in Dalneigh and the building in Church Street became Greyfriars Free Church. Today, the building is used as a second-hand bookshop <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.