Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Grants, High Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_18_022
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20535
KEYWORDS
tartans
tweeds
shop
shops
tourists
three graces
Grants, High Street, Inverness

Grant's Tartan & Tweed Warehouse used to stand at the corner of High Street and Castle Street in Inverness. It was aimed specifically at the growing tourist trade in the late nineteenth century. Queen Victoria's visit to the town in 1873 greatly influenced tourism in the area.

The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. From 1955 they were on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but they have recently been returned to Inverness, where they can now be found in Ness Bank Gardens. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Grants, High Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

tartans; tweeds; shop; shops; tourists; three graces

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Grant's Tartan & Tweed Warehouse used to stand at the corner of High Street and Castle Street in Inverness. It was aimed specifically at the growing tourist trade in the late nineteenth century. Queen Victoria's visit to the town in 1873 greatly influenced tourism in the area.<br /> <br /> The carved figures on the top of the building represent the Three Virtues - Faith, Hope and Charity. From 1955 they were on display at Graemeshall House at Holm, Orkney but they have recently been returned to Inverness, where they can now be found in Ness Bank Gardens. The building itself has been demolished and has been replaced by a fast food outlet. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.