Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Academy Street, Inverness, in winter
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_20_19
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20596
KEYWORDS
snowfall
snowfalls
academies
schools
monuments
statues
hotels
banks
garages
winter scenes
Academy Street, Inverness, in winter

Academy Street, Inverness, is seen here in the snow. Formerly known as New Street, Academy Street takes its name from the old Inverness Royal Academy building erected in 1792. It remained in use as a school until 1896, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.

On the right of the photograph is the Cameron Monument at the entrance to Station Square. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.

The building on the nearer side of the Cameron Monument is the Station Hotel. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000. On the other side of the monument stands the building of The National Bank of Scotland. A little further down the street, the entrance to Macrae and Dick's garage can be seen.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Academy Street, Inverness, in winter

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

snowfall; snowfalls; academies; schools; monuments; statues; hotels; banks; garages; winter scenes

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Academy Street, Inverness, is seen here in the snow. Formerly known as New Street, Academy Street takes its name from the old Inverness Royal Academy building erected in 1792. It remained in use as a school until 1896, when the Academy moved to Midmills Road.<br /> <br /> On the right of the photograph is the Cameron Monument at the entrance to Station Square. The statue, which shows a Cameron Highlander with a sphinx at his feet, commemorates the fallen of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders during the campaigns in Egypt and the Sudan in 1882 and 1885. The monument was unveiled in 1893 by Lochiel, the chief of the clan Cameron, and was erected by the 79th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. The sculptor was G Wade of London.<br /> <br /> The building on the nearer side of the Cameron Monument is the Station Hotel. It was renamed the Royal Highland Hotel in May 2000. On the other side of the monument stands the building of The National Bank of Scotland. A little further down the street, the entrance to Macrae and Dick's garage can be seen. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />