Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Caledonian FC Park under snow
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_22_74
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20646
KEYWORDS
snowfall
snowfalls
football ground
football grounds
football parks
distilleries
winter scenes
Caledonian FC Park under snow

The Caledonian Football Club, nicknamed 'Caley', was based in Telford Street beside the Glen Mhor distillery and the Caledonian Canal. The club was formed in 1885 or 1886 and was a founder member of the Highland Football League in 1893. The stand seen here seated 550 spectators and replaced an earlier one which was destroyed by fire in 1950.

The Caley team wore royal blue shirts, white shorts and royal blue socks. They won the Highland League eighteen times before merging with their rivals, Inverness Thistle Football Club, in 1994 to form Caledonian Thistle, later known as Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC.

The Glen Mhor distillery was founded in 1892 by John Mackinlay and John Birnie and closed in 1983 when it ceased to be profitable. It was later demolished to make way for retail premises.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Caledonian FC Park under snow

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1950s

snowfall; snowfalls; football ground; football grounds; football parks; distilleries; winter scenes

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The Caledonian Football Club, nicknamed 'Caley', was based in Telford Street beside the Glen Mhor distillery and the Caledonian Canal. The club was formed in 1885 or 1886 and was a founder member of the Highland Football League in 1893. The stand seen here seated 550 spectators and replaced an earlier one which was destroyed by fire in 1950. <br /> <br /> The Caley team wore royal blue shirts, white shorts and royal blue socks. They won the Highland League eighteen times before merging with their rivals, Inverness Thistle Football Club, in 1994 to form Caledonian Thistle, later known as Inverness Caledonian Thistle FC. <br /> <br /> The Glen Mhor distillery was founded in 1892 by John Mackinlay and John Birnie and closed in 1983 when it ceased to be profitable. It was later demolished to make way for retail premises. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />