Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ferry Bus
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_26_65
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1920s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20717
KEYWORDS
buses
bus conductors
ferries
bridges
Ferry Bus

This Vulcan bus is full of passengers waiting to travel from South Kessock to Inverness town centre. Most of the passengers will have taken the ferry across from North Kessock on the Black Isle. The conductor taking the fares is a young boy. A note on the side of the bus indicates that the maximum speed permissible for such a vehicle is 12 miles per hour.

The Kessock Ferry was an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle. It was frequently used by local farmers and others wishing to avoid the long journey round the head of the Beauly Firth. The ferry was privately run until 1939, when Inverness Town Council and Ross and Cromarty County Council took control of the service. Only foot passengers could be carried until the late 1940s, when a vehicle ferry was introduced. The ferry service ended in 1982 with the opening of the Kessock Bridge.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ferry Bus

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1920s

buses; bus conductors; ferries; bridges

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

This Vulcan bus is full of passengers waiting to travel from South Kessock to Inverness town centre. Most of the passengers will have taken the ferry across from North Kessock on the Black Isle. The conductor taking the fares is a young boy. A note on the side of the bus indicates that the maximum speed permissible for such a vehicle is 12 miles per hour.<br /> <br /> The Kessock Ferry was an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle. It was frequently used by local farmers and others wishing to avoid the long journey round the head of the Beauly Firth. The ferry was privately run until 1939, when Inverness Town Council and Ross and Cromarty County Council took control of the service. Only foot passengers could be carried until the late 1940s, when a vehicle ferry was introduced. The ferry service ended in 1982 with the opening of the Kessock Bridge. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />