Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stornoway Harbour and the Caledonian Hotel
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_CALEDONIANHOTEL_HARBOUR
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20901
KEYWORDS
harbours
quays
hotels
buildings
towns
Stornoway Harbour and the Caledonian Hotel

Stornoway is on the east coast of the Isle of Lewis and is the only town in the Western Isles. The name comes from the Norse for 'Steering Bay'. Stornoway grew up around the natural harbour which, during the herring boom of the 1800s, had over 1000 boats working out of it. Overlooking the harbour, in the bottom left corner of the photograph, is the Caledonian Hotel on South Beach


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stornoway Harbour and the Caledonian Hotel

ROSS: Stornoway

1950s

harbours; quays; hotels; buildings; towns

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Stornoway is on the east coast of the Isle of Lewis and is the only town in the Western Isles. The name comes from the Norse for 'Steering Bay'. Stornoway grew up around the natural harbour which, during the herring boom of the 1800s, had over 1000 boats working out of it. Overlooking the harbour, in the bottom left corner of the photograph, is the Caledonian Hotel on South Beach <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.