Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stornoway Castle
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_CASTLE
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20902
KEYWORDS
castles
buildings
grounds
colleges
schools
hospitals
Stornoway Castle

Stornoway Castle (also known as Lews Castle) is situated on the west side of Stornoway Harbour. It was built by James Matheson, of the Jardine Matheson Company, who bought the island of Lewis in 1844. Matheson profited from the opium trade in the 1830s and used the money to ship soil and plants to Lewis to create his extensive castle grounds.

The castle and the island were later bought by Lord Leverhulme in 1918. He gifted the castle to the people in 1923 and was administered by the Stornoway Trust. During World War II the building was used as a naval hospital.

Stornoway Castle was the original home of Lews Castle College when it opened in 1953. During the 1970s the college moved to a new building built in the castle grounds. The castle continued to be used by the Lews Castle School until 1988 when structural problems were discovered. It has been completely vacant since 1997


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stornoway Castle

ROSS: Stornoway

1950s

castles; buildings; grounds; colleges; schools; hospitals

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Stornoway Castle (also known as Lews Castle) is situated on the west side of Stornoway Harbour. It was built by James Matheson, of the Jardine Matheson Company, who bought the island of Lewis in 1844. Matheson profited from the opium trade in the 1830s and used the money to ship soil and plants to Lewis to create his extensive castle grounds.<br /> <br /> The castle and the island were later bought by Lord Leverhulme in 1918. He gifted the castle to the people in 1923 and was administered by the Stornoway Trust. During World War II the building was used as a naval hospital.<br /> <br /> Stornoway Castle was the original home of Lews Castle College when it opened in 1953. During the 1970s the college moved to a new building built in the castle grounds. The castle continued to be used by the Lews Castle School until 1988 when structural problems were discovered. It has been completely vacant since 1997 <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.