Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Stornoway Airfield
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_STORNOWAY_AIRFIELD
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20907
KEYWORDS
airfields
airports
aerodromes
aeroplanes
planes
landing strips
runways
airlines
transport
Stornoway Airfield

The first air services to Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles, were by Captain E E Fresson in 1934. The first flights used part of the golf course as a grass landing strip.

In 1937 a civil aerodrome opened near Stornoway. In April 1941 the airport came under RAF Coastal Command for anti-submarine and anti-shipping operations. By 1943 it had become an important staging point for allied aircraft crossing the Atlantic. Short range aircraft were able to cross the ocean in stages: Stornoway - Iceland - Greenland - Newfoundland - USA.

Between 1986 and 1993 NATO used the airport as a Forward Operating Base for air defence aircraft protecting the naval fleet. The airport also supports the Scottish Air Ambulance Service and is home to the Coastguard search and rescue helicopter.

The airport is located just over two miles from Stornoway town centre and commercial flights are operated from there to Benbecula and Barra as well as to Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Stornoway Airfield

ROSS: Stornoway

1950s

airfields; airports; aerodromes; aeroplanes; planes; landing strips; runways; airlines; transport

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

The first air services to Stornoway, on the Isle of Lewis in the Western Isles, were by Captain E E Fresson in 1934. The first flights used part of the golf course as a grass landing strip. <br /> <br /> In 1937 a civil aerodrome opened near Stornoway. In April 1941 the airport came under RAF Coastal Command for anti-submarine and anti-shipping operations. By 1943 it had become an important staging point for allied aircraft crossing the Atlantic. Short range aircraft were able to cross the ocean in stages: Stornoway - Iceland - Greenland - Newfoundland - USA.<br /> <br /> Between 1986 and 1993 NATO used the airport as a Forward Operating Base for air defence aircraft protecting the naval fleet. The airport also supports the Scottish Air Ambulance Service and is home to the Coastguard search and rescue helicopter.<br /> <br /> The airport is located just over two miles from Stornoway town centre and commercial flights are operated from there to Benbecula and Barra as well as to Inverness, Glasgow and Edinburgh <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.