Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Boats in Stornoway Harbour
EXTERNAL ID
PAN_SY346_MINNA
PLACENAME
Stornoway
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Stornoway
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Nairn
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20908
KEYWORDS
boats
vessels
harbours
quays
registration
Boats in Stornoway Harbour

Stornoway, the main town of the Western Isles, has one of the finest natural harbours in the world. During the 1800s herring boom there were over 1000 fishing boats working out of Stornoway Harbour. There were massive landings of white fish and herring.
In 1865 the Stornoway Pier and Harbour Commission was set up to look after the harbour.

The harbour today regularly houses oil company ships, commercial and industrial freight ships, the car ferry to Ullapool and private yachts. It also still has a sizable fishing fleet, although nowhere near 1000 boats.

There are three boats visible in this photograph. Two are Stornoway registered fishing boats, SY 346 and SY 704. The third is called 'Minna'. 'Minna' was a Fishery Protection vessel completed by Denny's in Dumbarton in 1939. The boat was requisitioned by the Royal Navy during World War II but resumed duties with the Department of Fisheries in 1946. She was sold in 1974, renamed the Ocean Observer, and was involved in oil related survey work until being scrapped in 1978.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Boats in Stornoway Harbour

ROSS: Stornoway

1950s

boats; vessels; harbours; quays; registration

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

Jimmy Nairn & Son

Stornoway, the main town of the Western Isles, has one of the finest natural harbours in the world. During the 1800s herring boom there were over 1000 fishing boats working out of Stornoway Harbour. There were massive landings of white fish and herring.<br /> In 1865 the Stornoway Pier and Harbour Commission was set up to look after the harbour.<br /> <br /> The harbour today regularly houses oil company ships, commercial and industrial freight ships, the car ferry to Ullapool and private yachts. It also still has a sizable fishing fleet, although nowhere near 1000 boats. <br /> <br /> There are three boats visible in this photograph. Two are Stornoway registered fishing boats, SY 346 and SY 704. The third is called 'Minna'. 'Minna' was a Fishery Protection vessel completed by Denny's in Dumbarton in 1939. The boat was requisitioned by the Royal Navy during World War II but resumed duties with the Department of Fisheries in 1946. She was sold in 1974, renamed the Ocean Observer, and was involved in oil related survey work until being scrapped in 1978. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.