Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Burnett's Bakery
EXTERNAL ID
PAW0006542F
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
20960
KEYWORDS
dining rooms
halls
furniture
decorations
tourism
buildings
shops
Burnett's Bakery

The photograph shows the interior of Burnett's Bakery. The walls are wooden panelling and there is a small fireplace in one wall. It is set for an afternoon tea for which Burnett's were renowned.

Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room.

In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999.


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Burnett's Bakery

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1930s

dining rooms; halls; furniture; decorations; tourism; buildings; shops

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The photograph shows the interior of Burnett's Bakery. The walls are wooden panelling and there is a small fireplace in one wall. It is set for an afternoon tea for which Burnett's were renowned.<br /> <br /> Burnett Bros, originally from Dundee, took over the bakery business of William Milne & Sons, 29 High Street, in October 1897. An advert from April 1922 shows that the business was operating from 53 High Street but by the end of that year, a new shop in Academy Street had been opened. This new premises included two well-equipped bakeries, dining room, tea room and smoke and coffee room. <br /> <br /> In 1928 Burnett Bros was granted permission to extend and alter the premises at 44 & 46 Academy Street. The bakehouse and front shop were extended, and a large dining/function room was created on the first floor. A new kitchen was also installed. In 1935, permission was granted to erect a new bakery at Longman Road. Burnett's was eventually bought by British Bakeries and closed in 1999. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.