Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kessock Hotel on Main Street, North Kessock
EXTERNAL ID
PAW18784G
PLACENAME
North Kessock
DISTRICT
Avoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Knockbain
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21029
KEYWORDS
Kessock Ferry
North Kessock
Sir William Fettes
Hotels
Inns
Kessock Ferry
Kessock Hotel
Black Isle
Kessock Hotel on Main Street, North Kessock

The Kessock Hotel is situated on Main Street in North Kessock. The building is Georgian in style and was re-constructed in the late nineteenth century. Previously an inn, the building acted as host to passengers using the Kessock Ferry, an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle.

The village of North Kessock was developed during the early part of the nineteenth century on land owned by Sir William Fettes. Fettes was responsible for the modernisation of the Kessock Ferry, building piers at both North Kessock and South Kessock. The Ferry was privately run until 1939, when the Inverness and Ross local authorities took over the responsibility. In 1982 the Kessock Bridge was built, and the ferry service ended


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kessock Hotel on Main Street, North Kessock

ROSS: Knockbain

1950s

Kessock Ferry; North Kessock; Sir William Fettes; Hotels; Inns; Kessock Ferry; Kessock Hotel; Black Isle

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

The Kessock Hotel is situated on Main Street in North Kessock. The building is Georgian in style and was re-constructed in the late nineteenth century. Previously an inn, the building acted as host to passengers using the Kessock Ferry, an ancient water route between Inverness and the Black Isle.<br /> <br /> The village of North Kessock was developed during the early part of the nineteenth century on land owned by Sir William Fettes. Fettes was responsible for the modernisation of the Kessock Ferry, building piers at both North Kessock and South Kessock. The Ferry was privately run until 1939, when the Inverness and Ross local authorities took over the responsibility. In 1982 the Kessock Bridge was built, and the ferry service ended <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.<br />