Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Garrison Cinema Fort George, 1953.
EXTERNAL ID
PAW18787
PLACENAME
Fort George
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Ardersier
DATE OF IMAGE
1953
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21033
KEYWORDS
cinemas
forts
The Garrison Cinema Fort George, 1953.

When this photograph was taken in 1953, Fort George accommodated the Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders and The Highland Brigade Depot. Fort George's isolation from the entertainments of Inverness gave it a bleak reputation. Soldiers who wanted to visit cinemas and dance halls had to rely on a very inadequate bus service, or walk the 12 miles back to barracks. The Depot staff made every effort to provide amenities and entertainment for the garrison, including the cinema, where the Army Kinema Corporation showed a regular programme of films. The photograph shows the cinema at Fort George suitably decorated for the Coronation in June 1953.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Garrison Cinema Fort George, 1953.

INVERNESS: Ardersier

1950s

cinemas; forts

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

When this photograph was taken in 1953, Fort George accommodated the Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders and The Highland Brigade Depot. Fort George's isolation from the entertainments of Inverness gave it a bleak reputation. Soldiers who wanted to visit cinemas and dance halls had to rely on a very inadequate bus service, or walk the 12 miles back to barracks. The Depot staff made every effort to provide amenities and entertainment for the garrison, including the cinema, where the Army Kinema Corporation showed a regular programme of films. The photograph shows the cinema at Fort George suitably decorated for the Coronation in June 1953. <br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.