Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Depot Seaforth Highlanders and Highland Brigade, Fort George, 1952-53
EXTERNAL ID
PAW18922B
PLACENAME
Fort George
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Ardersier
DATE OF IMAGE
1952 - 1953
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
David Whyte Studio
SOURCE
Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)
ASSET ID
21049
KEYWORDS
Seaforths
uniforms
army
highland regiments
Depot Seaforth Highlanders and Highland Brigade, Fort George, 1952-53

After World War II the Regimental Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders was re-established at Fort George. From 1951 to 1957 the Highland Brigade Depot was combined with the Depot Seaforth at the Fort, because Fort George had the best ranges and training facilities in Scotland. The combined Depot was responsible for the basic training of Seaforth recruits, continuation training for recruits of all Highland battalions, training potential officers for the Highland regiments, and many other courses. The soldiers in the group come from all the six Highland regiments that existed at the time. In the centre of the photograph is Major AJS Martin MBE, Depot Commander in 1952-54, with RSM CJA Vass beside him. The soldiers in the group wear training dress, with interesting variety among the patterns of battledress.

(This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George).


This image can be purchased.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email the
Highland Photographic Archive quoting the External ID.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Depot Seaforth Highlanders and Highland Brigade, Fort George, 1952-53

INVERNESS: Ardersier

1950s

Seaforths; uniforms; army; highland regiments

Highland Photographic Archive (IMAG)

David Whyte Collection, Highland Photographic Archive

After World War II the Regimental Depot of the Seaforth Highlanders was re-established at Fort George. From 1951 to 1957 the Highland Brigade Depot was combined with the Depot Seaforth at the Fort, because Fort George had the best ranges and training facilities in Scotland. The combined Depot was responsible for the basic training of Seaforth recruits, continuation training for recruits of all Highland battalions, training potential officers for the Highland regiments, and many other courses. The soldiers in the group come from all the six Highland regiments that existed at the time. In the centre of the photograph is Major AJS Martin MBE, Depot Commander in 1952-54, with RSM CJA Vass beside him. The soldiers in the group wear training dress, with interesting variety among the patterns of battledress.<br /> <br /> (This information was kindly supplied by the Regimental Museum of The Highlanders, Fort George). <br /> <br /> <br /> This image can be purchased.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email the<br /> <a href="mailto: photographic.archive@highlifehighland.com">Highland Photographic Archive</a> quoting the External ID.